Bites & Bits March 10/52

março 10, 2019


Day 4 | Tools and Materials
I could talk about a lot of tools and other essential resources for the things I do Nuts for Paper but I choose some of the basic tools for bookbinding especially the saddle stitch that I usually go for my paperback notebooks and planners. 
Needle, Awl, thread, bone folder (don't let the name fool you, mine is made of plastic), scissors, ruler and paper! Curious note - although pink is not my favourite colour I have a lot of pink tools xD


Day 5 | Detail or Close up

In 2017 I adopted the dot grid for my notebooks, and last year I adopted for the planners and agendas. What I share here is a detail of the dot grid and a close up on some pin buttons.


Day 6 | Full or Part-time

I'm a full-time freelance illustrator & graphic designer and Nuts for Paper is my brand. In the beginning, it was a part-time thing, but since 2015 that is my full-time job.




Day 7 | Less Glam Side!

Well, I could talk about how many times I work on my pj's pants, or how I don't dress fancy in the studio, but I prefer to share the mess that the studio can turn in when I'm working/finishing notebooks/planners. Paper can be messy but when I mixed paper and fabric it's even messier!! (All these extra paper bits are recycled. Maybe in the future, I can use these extra bits to stuff boxes of orders, but at the moment I sent them into recycle)




Day 8 | Product Range

These owls were born because of a custom order. The custom order was for a planner with illustrations of owls. I drew 12 different owls and used them on the inside and cover of the planner. But later I adopted these 4 owls and brought them to live in many Nuts for Paper products: postcards, pin badges and magnetics, pocket journals and tiny A6 notebooks.




Day 9 | Story Behind Name
Nuts for Paper (or crazy about paper in maybe the not the most healthy way ;) ) I always had a tight relation with paper things - notebooks, books, newspapers, art... Looking back it all makes sense on how it lead me to work with paper, create useful things around paper but also attractive to the eye (at least I hope so).

Nuts for Paper has reason to be the name of my brand, back 2013 when the brand was created the name emerged from a brainstorm session. The goal was to create a name that was easily identifiable and that was related to the mains products - notebooks/paper related items. Although Nuts for Paper is a Portuguese brand, the intention was always to be more focused on the international market, therefore I choose an English name for the brand. Another goal was to create a quirky and fun brand, so I created two mascots for the brand (inspired by the nuts part of the brand name) two squirrels - Chubby and Snuggly. In the beginning, they are very present in the brand products, but slowly they gave space for another kind of illustrations and patterns. Chubby, the squirrel, stills exists and it's a character that I've been developing throughout the years (you might see more of it soon).




Day 10 | YOU
Hi! I'm Mafalda the creative behind Nuts for Paper.
 - I'm almost 30 and I live in the sunny & windy west area of Portugal - my favourite colours are turquoise, all shades of blue and light grey
- I'm a book nerd and love to read
- I learned to draw and fall in love with illustration because of books
- I collected notebooks and sketchbooks until 2011 when I decided it was time to use them all before getting more. Two years later I started to make my own notebooks and often sketchbooks too.
- I often have to work while listening to something - music, podcasts or audiobooks - only recently I learned that it helps me be more focused.

- the squirrel in the image is the mascot of the brand and his personality is inspired in me! (Especially his cookie addiction ;) )



March Meet the maker 
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Studio | Week 4 | Week 5
....
March is the month of the March Meet the Maker created by Joanne Hawker
This year I decide to participate and share on both of my Instagram accounts some of the prompts.


You Might Also Like

0 comentários

Deixe aqui o seu comentário // Leave us a comment

Bites & Bits August 32-35/52

August was a roller-coaster. A good roller-coaster. I started the month by installing new shelves on my Studio. I did it by myself and I...

Seguidores

Follow
© a outra mafalda 2013 - 2017. Com tecnologia do Blogger.